Tomorrow is International Night at school, and I am in charge of the India table. Tonight I had several projects, the most important of which was making enough butter chicken and rice to feed 75 people.
My always-supportive husband offered to help me with this daunting task. "But how many cups of rice should I make?" he asked.
And I had no idea. I've never made rice for more than two people! So at first I said we should make six cups of rice. He measured it into the pot. "Hmm...I don't know if that will be enough," he said. So we put in two more cups and still weren't sure.
"How much is it going to expand?" I wondered out loud. But neither of us could make a good estimate about that. We were a bit at a loss, but Brandon noted that it would be much better to have too much than to have too little. And besides, rice is incredibly cheap and easy to make. So what was the harm in going a bit overboard?
So we made 12 cups of rice.
I remember reading a book as a child in which a lady was trying to make spaghetti. But some spell had been cast, and the spaghetti overflowed the pot and then her house and then the entire town. Well, I'm not sure if that's exactly how the story went, but it was something like that. I remember the illustrations of a spaghetti-covered city! And I was thinking of those illustrations as our rice expanded in its pot.
I guess rice gets a lot bigger when it's cooked. And, wow, 12 cups is a lot of rice!
But, as Brandon noted, it's better to have (way) too much than too little. And we will have way too much. But neither the house nor the town ended up overflowing with it, so at least we're good there.
No comments:
Post a Comment