Cinco de Mayo is truly one of my favorite days of the year. I know it is not any kind of important holiday (not here, and not in Mexico either), but it's a great excuse to let loose, let go, and let tacos and tequila do the jobs for which they were intended.
This year in particular I need an excuse to let loose and let go, and so I began planning a Cinco de Mayo party several weeks ago. That was before I realized that May 5 was a Thursday. And Friday - even when it's Friday, May 6! - is a work day for everyone I know.
Which is why Brandon and I took it upon ourselves to alter the holiday slightly. And so today, we celebrated Siete de Mayo - the seventh of May!
If you've ever done any research on this supposedly Mexican holiday, you will probably know that Americans are the only ones who celebrate it, probably for those reasons listed above. So, since it appears to be a holiday that Americans celebrate for no good reason at all, we figured, why not move it a couple days? Siete de Mayo is still a great excuse to let loose, let go, and let tacos and tequila do the jobs for which they were intended.
I went all out, and I went crazy at Party City. I put up decorations of Mexican flags, sombreros, and maracas. I got a load of ground beef and a ton of taco seasoning. I filled up the cooler with Corona and went on a Jose Cuervo run. The house was full of bright colors, delicious smells, and happy people. Because really, there is just nothing better than tacos and tequila. And there is no better day to celebrate the existence of these things than today, the seventh of May.
Happy Siete de Mayo!
No comments:
Post a Comment