Brandon and I joined a gym last week. We'd been thinking about it for a while, after noticing that the honeymoon weight didn't just melt off as soon as we returned from paradise.
I was freaking out a little because I'd read an article a month or so before the wedding that said the average bride gains 20 pounds in her first year of marriage. I remember thinking at the time that this would never, ever be me. But there I was, barely three months in and 10 pounds heavier already.
So to the gym we went, figuring we could spend our money on trying to remain healthy or on buying new wardrobes every few months. Although now that I've put it that way, I wonder...
But the decision is made. We are now members of this gym, and today we went together for the first time. I've asked Brandon to train me on the weight machines because the trainer (we each got one free session) told me that I simply cannot do cardio all by itself without throwing some weight training in there. Yawn...I've never, ever liked lifting weights, but since the trainer said, I am going to try to stick with it.
And Brandon is not a bad teacher. We actually had fun, and we even got a good story out of it:
We had just begun the lat raise; I was the one doing the exercise, and Brandon was watching me and waiting for his turn. An elderly man approached us, sort of struck a pose, and then boldly asked, "How do I look?" I heard him say it but decided the best course of action was to ignore it, so I just kept doing the lat raise. Brandon said nothing, so the old man asked again, "Well, how do I look?" Apparantly at a loss for words, Brandon simply said, "You look fine, I guess," to which the creepy old man replied, "Well, you can't improve upon perfection, but I do try," as he walked away with his pants pulled up way too high over his saggy butt.
Brandon and I had a good little laugh about the creepy old man at the gym and continued our exercise. We were taking turns, and a couple moments later, when I was back on the machine, the creepy old man approached us again. We tried to ignore him, but he didn't take the hint. He walked right up in front of me and said, "I just wanted to come check your form. It's actually a lot better than I thought it would be. I give it a seven out of 10."
Ummm...thank you?
No comments:
Post a Comment