Sometimes in South Florida, perhaps because we don't have the usual clues like snow in our yards and ice on the roads, the Christmas season really sneaks up on me. Of course, if you walk into any retail store anytime after Halloween (and possibly, depending on which store you've walked into, before that), you'll see that the season is surely upon us. Outside, you'll see palm trees twinkling with lights and people outside putting decorations on their roofs (and wearing the typical December gear of long pants and sweatshirts).
We here in South Florida get ready for the holidays early, sometimes too early. But even with the nonstop Christmas music playing from the car stereo, I still find it difficult to get into the spirit. I don't want it to get cold, and I really don't want it to snow; but there is something about single-digit temperatures and that white, fluffy stuff that just makes it feel like it's Christmas.
I like the warm weather, though, and I really like to see the decorated palm trees as I drive the streets of South Florida; so I need to find a different way to get into the Christmas spirit. This year, Brandon suggested going to a Trans Siberian Orchestra concert!
We saw them a few years ago in Chicago, and it was truly one of the best concerts either of us had ever been to. If you're not familiar with the group, Google them right away! They are technically an orchestra, but the music they play is more rock-style. They use electric guitars and electric violins. And they back it all up with the most thrilling special effects and various pyrotechnics! So their CDs are awesome; but their concerts are almost unbelievable!
I couldn't have thought of a better way to get into the holiday spirit than attending this amazing show. Brandon and I drove all the way to Miami (it's not that far, but it was in rush-hour traffic!), found a little Peruvian dive for an amazing dinner (and cheap), and then spent the next three hours gaping in amazement at the music, the singing, the stories, and, yes, the pyrotechnics.
There was a little bite in the air when we left the arena just after 10 pm. So I huddled a little closer to Brandon as we walked back to our car parked on the iceless streets of downtown Miami. And I said, simply, "I can't wait for Christmas!"
No comments:
Post a Comment