Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day 181: New Name

If you've been following me on my year of newlywedded bliss, you will probably remember that, immediately after arriving home from our honeymoon, I began my new job as a middle and high school science teacher. I absolutely love this job, but as a first-year teacher, I've had very little time to enjoy the rest of my life these past few months. I've also had very little time to take care of my long list of things to do. And at the top of that list for the past six months has been to change my name to Charlotte Eames.

I have finally done it! Last week, I went to the social security office to apply for my new card. It came in the mail pretty quickly, and as soon as it did, I took it to the DMV to get my new driver's license. I got up early yesterday morning, trying to arrive at the DMV before the line got too long. Unfortunately, since the last time I'd been at the DMV (about two years ago), it has changed locations. Realizing this and figuring out where to go instead put me behind by about an hour. The line was out the door and down the block by the time I got there.

Still, I only waited in it for about 40 minutes. I got up to the checkpoint, documents in-hand. "How can I help you?" the man behind the counter asked me. "I need to change my name," I stated. "Ok, did you get your new social security card already?" "Yes," I replied proudly, feeling so good that I was so on top of my stuff! "Great, and do you have your birth certificate and marriage license?" I handed both documents over. "Ok, and then I just need two things proving your address." WHAT???

First of all, why would the DMV need to prove my address, when it is already clearly-printed on my current license? But even more importantly, why did nobody tell me I needed this proof when I called last week to verify that I had everything required? I clearly remember being told that I needed my new social security card, my birth certificate, and my marriage license. I'd made the assumption that this person on the other end of the line knew what she was talking about. Oops, silly me!

But there was nothing to be done. I was forced to remain Charlotte Erickson for 24 more hours.

So, the next day, I got up early again, drove directly to the correct DMV location, and got back in line. I was earlier this time, so only 30 minutes later, I was at that first checkpoint again. This time I had everything I needed. I was given a number and told to wait till it was called - another hour or so. Once my number came up, the process was easy, if not quick. But I left the DMV with a new license and a new name.

Please welcome to the world Mrs. Charlotte Eames!

No comments:

Post a Comment