Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 336: Eleven Months Down, One To Go

It is the first of June. At this time last year, I was making last-minute arrangements for our wedding festivities. I was nervous because I had to bake a bunch of cupcakes, and I was stressing because I had to find just the right shoes. (And then I realized, actually, I didn't; our wedding was going to be barefoot on the beach! Let's just call that a "bride moment!")

This is my last month as a newlywed. Thirty days from now, it will be our one-year anniversary. Beginning July 1, 2011, we will no longer celebrate our anniversary in months, but in years. And hopefully there will be many of them.

This one-year anniversary is going to be a bittersweet moment. Obviously, I'm thrilled to be celebrating a full year of marriage to my best friend and the love of my life. (And boy, do we have the anniversary celebration planned!!! Just you wait...) But there is a part of me that's sad to say goodbye to this precious first year as a married couple. We waited an awful long time for it, and we've really enjoyed it; but soon, we won't be in it, but we'll be looking back at it saying, "Remember the first year we were married when...?"

Sigh.

The end of newlyweddedness means the end of other things. For instance, we can no longer answer that dreaded "Do you (or are you going to) have any children?" question with a simple, "Oh, we actually just got married!" Now we'll need a real answer.

And yet, what is the real difference in our lives between June 30 and July 1? It's just a date on a calendar, and it's not going to change how we feel about each other. Yes, it's the end of something big - our amazing first year of marriage. And then again, on the other hand, nothing is ending at all! In fact, our marriage has only just begun. And I plan to celebrate an awful lot of anniversaries (the yearly ones).

No comments:

Post a Comment