So Brandon got his tablas, and then it was my turn to search for something. I could remember very clearly shopping in a market when I visited India five years ago. I just couldn't remember where it was or what it was called, and every time we ask for shopping, the rickshaws only take us to the shops that pay them commission. I figured the only way to get to this market I remembered was to walk there (and hope my feet could recall where to go).
Problem was, they didn't. So we just walked and walked and walked and walked. This went on for five miles or so, until I finally gave up. But by then we were so close the the India gate, we had to keep going.
Then, once we were ready to catch a rickshaw back to the hotel, we couldn't find one. (This never happens!) So we just walked some more. Finally, someone picked us up, and wouldn't you know it - he passed right by the market we'd been looking for all afternoon!!!
I wrote down the street names just in time, and I knew we'd be all set in the morning. I let us sleep as late as we could (we had walked an awful many miles), and this time, rested and reassured, we found the market. We spent the whole day there, haggling with street hawkers and only wandering into the actual shops when we needed a blast of cool, conditioned air.
Then, hands full and pockets empty, we made our way back to Hotel Ajanta for our last night in Delhi. But we refused to go out without a bang, so after we'd cleaned up, we went right back out. We were just going to grab a nice, hearty dinner at one of the restaurants we'd passed on our way home, but on the way we came upon Spl. Chikan, a little street cart where they were selling chicken tikka masala kabobs. And who doesn't need an appetizer? Especially one like that!
So we walked to our restaurant, eating our appetizer and wondering what else might be in store for our last night in Delhi. We chose a dirty little joint where we were sure the food was incredible, and we both ordered something spicy! On our way home, we stopped at the liquor counter for a few last beers - not that they won't have any in Goa, but we are celebrating our last night in Delhi! And, since we were celebrating, we decided to stop at Spl. Chikan once again. No, we weren't still hungry; we were just having a good time.
The chicken tikka masala kabobs were all gone, so they gave us mutton sausage instead. And, as luck would have it, we had a leftover chapati from the restaurant, with which we were able to make a "mutton burrito." Kingfisher, mutton burritos, and card games - this all awaits me back in the room. And is there a better way to spend a last night in Delhi? I think not!
No comments:
Post a Comment