Anyway, just before noon we arrived in Kottayam, a relatively small city that is home to my very best Indian friend, Kirthy. I met Kirthy at the college. She was in her second year and studying psychology the year I was there to volunteer. It took me almost four months to make a friend whom I trusted enough to be absolutely, completely myself around. But Kirthy is just one of those people - warm and inviting, always ready to share, and always trying to make you laugh.
I still speak to Kirthy (Keer'-tee) frequently. When I get on the computer in the morning before work, Kirthy is often signed in, taking a break from her studies around supper time to check in with the rest of the world. When Brandon and I were planning this trip, it was an absolute must that we see her. Brandon has heard so much about her and has even chatted with her online himself. I'll never forget the time Kirthy started a chat with Brandon, who was signed in under my name. I had already gone to bed, but they ended up talking for quite a while. In the morning, Brandon said, "Guess what! I chatted with 'Kur-thee' last night!" Who??? I still laugh out loud at that.
Anyway, since then, Brandon has learned how to pronounce her name, and we have been so looking forward to getting together with her. Today is a day I have honestly been looking forward to for five whole years. This is a dear friend, who made my year in India so much more than it would have been had she not been a part of it. And back in the USA, I miss her like crazy.
We didn't do anything special today, and we didn't need to. Kirthy showed us around Kottayam and took us for an "American" lunch of fried chicken, pizza, and French fries. Then we walked and shopped and talked and laughed. And just when I thought the day couldn't get a whole lot better, Kirthy's mom came out of the kitchen with the best butter chicken in all of India. Actually, make that in all the world! We ate like we hadn't seen food in two and a half weeks!
And, although we still haven't gotten used to the firm mattresses they sleep on here in India, I have no doubt that we will sleep well tonight, here in the home of our very good friend Kirthy and her lovely family.
No comments:
Post a Comment