Saturday, August 7, 2010

Day 38: Day 1 of Our Honeymoon at Moon Palace Casino, Golf & Spa Resort, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

We arrived in Punta Cana this afternoon, and we have been having the time of our lives ever since! This honeymoon is unbelievable. (And the only reason I have time to write about it for you is that Brandon has found his way to the casino!)

But let's begin at the beginning - 5:00 this morning, when the alarm clock rang!!!

Yesterday was a long day. We had to unpack from our trip to Illinois and then repack for our trip to Punta Cana. We also had to pick up our car from the body shop (yup, that's finally done), pick up some books and magazines from Borders (beach reading), and make sure all of our bills are paid (it's hard to keep track of these things when you are away for so long!).

But as exhausting as this all was, we didn't make it to bed until it was quite late; and, after only about three hour of sleep, the alarm clock's shrill ring was not a welcome sound. Honeymoon, or no honeymoon, I just wanted to sleep.

But there was a plane to catch. My friend Lauren picked us up at our house at 5:45 and took us to the Miami airport, where we caught a 10:00 flight. We arrived in Punta Cana about two hours later, and, from the moment we set eyes on this place, we were in awe.

The resort is amazing, but before I get into that, I have to talk about the airport! Yes, the airport was fantastic - it was all open air, with no walls, just a lovely grass roof. It was beautiful! It was chaotic too. There were no distinct lines, and the signage was lacking. As we moved with the mass of people, I was a bit stressed out by the immense disorganization. But it turns out there is a method to Punta Cana's madness, because we made it through all of the lines and checkpoints with no trouble at all; and it didn't even take that long.

We found our shuttle to Moon Palace, and 30 minutes later, we had entered what I can only describe as my own personal version of heaven.

It is so beautiful and luxurious here that I often don't feel that I belong; but then a nice young Dominican concierge will come along, smiling and practicing his most recent English lesson, and I will feel right at home. The people here are so friendly. It truly seems that their number one goal in life is to ensure that I have a great week. And, with or without them, I'm sure I would!

Did I mention this place is like heaven? Where to even begin...

Our room: It's huge. It has steps. And it has a bathroom bigger than the first apartment Brandon and I shared - with two sinks and two shower heads. The king bed is the most comfortable one I've ever had the pleasure of lying on. And, not three steps from it, is a jacuzzi - IN. OUR. ROOM.

A jacuzzi...IN. OUR. ROOM!!!!!

We also have a patio that rivals the bathroom in size, and it comes with an incredible view of the rest of the resort. Oh, but there's so much to do back inside that I can't stay out there long. We have a mini bar with liquor dispensers, right next to the bed. There's Smirnoff, Bacardi, and Jose Cuervo in there, and then there are sodas and juices in the fridge! There is 24-hour room service, you know, just in case you didn't get enough to eat at the nine restaurants on the property.

There is a bottle of wine on the table next to the jacuzzi.

This place is nuts!

And for the first few hours we were here, we just walked around, claiming how nuts it was! We saw all nine restaurants, as well as a coffee shop, an ice cream parlor, and a pool bar (not like a bar next to a pool, but a bar where you can play pool!!!). But speaking of pools, we saw them too - all 10 of them! And then we saw the lazy river. Did you hear me? I said that there is a lazy river at my resort! A LAZY RIVER!!!!!

And I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but this place is all-inclusive. So, from the snacks by the pools to the nine restaurants to the room service to the liquor dispensers and the wine on our table, we don't have to give anyone a dime!

And so, with that in mind, we plan to eat way more than three times a day. We arrived here shortly after lunch time today, and we have already eaten four times. First, we ordered room service (cheese quesadilla for me and combo steak and chicken fajitas for Brandon - very, very good!). Then, we got some chips, chili, and cheese by one of the pools. After that, we went to the ice cream parlor. And finally, about five hours after this whole charade started, we went out for dinner at Los Gallos - the Mexican restaurant (I guess we had a bit of a Mexican theme today, but tomorrow anything goes!).

Needless to say, I am stuffed. I am also tired (it's really hard work to eat this much, and I didn't even mention what I've had to drink!). But I'm incredibly happy.

I'm sure there will be much, much, much more to tell (like, Brandon's been in the casino for over an hour, so that must mean he's winning!!!). For now, suffice it to say that I'm having a lovely time in heaven.

And now I'm going to go see about that husband of mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment