Friday, August 27, 2010

Day 58: New Truck

Brandon and I bought a new truck last night. I was hoping we could put this purchase off at least until I officially change my name, but the old van's air conditioning went out last week; and, well, it was just time.

I got home from school as quickly as I could, and we headed straight to Miami. Brandon had been researching used Honda Ridgelines on the internet for months, and he'd finally stumbled upon what he thought might be the one. But, as I mentioned, it was in Miami.

We figured we could get a good meal out of it, though; and, as luck would have it, our dealership was located in Little Havana. Cuban food is my favorite, so I was all for this trip, whether we were going to leave Miami in a new truck or not!

We got down there and ate our Cuban food (it was essential that I eat before car shopping!), and then we headed down the street to the dealership. We found the car on the lot that Brandon had found online, and we liked it!

Four hours later, we were back home. We didn't officially have our truck (it needed a few things done), but we did own it! How exciting - our fist big purchase as a married couple!

Of course, Brandon and I have made big purchases together before (a house, for one, and another vehicle). I laugh when I look back about four years, to the day when we bought an 800 dollar mattress. At that point in our lives, neither of us had ever spent that kind of money; and we certainly hadn't done it as a couple. It was daunting at the time; but now, after the purchase of two vehicles, a home, and all the stuff that goes in it, that 800 dollars seems so insignificant.

But it wasn't at the time; it was our first big purchase as a couple. And this truck is our first big purchase as a married couple. I can't express how good it felt when the salesman came out to introduce himself, and I hear Brandon say, "Hi, I'm Brandon, and this if my wife, Charlotte."

I just felt so darn special! And it didn't have anything to do with the new truck.

1 comment: