Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 40: Day 3 of Our Honeymoon at Moon Palace Casino, Golf & Spa Resort, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

I'm not sure how we slept in till almost 9 this morning, after having gone to bed so early last night. Something about this place makes me very tired. Or maybe I'm just ultra relaxed, and so it's easy to sleep.

Anyway, we had to get up at 9, so that we could have our special honeymooners' breakfast in bed. This was actually breakfast served on the little table in our room, which we found amusing, but it was truly delicious. I realize I keep saying this about the meals we are having; I do hate to be so redundant, but it's simply the truth!

They had given us a few menu options, and we had chosen eggs benedict and apple waffles. We were both served one plate of each of these things, but, since Brandon doesn't eat eggs (don't ask), I ended up with four eggs benedict and he ended up with two plates of apple waffles. There was also a fruit plate, a pastry basket, orange juice, and papaya mimosas. This was quite a breakfast!

Had we known we were going to be so ridiculously full (how we didn't know this, I'm not sure, as we always seem to be ridiculously full at this place), we might have allowed ourselves more time to get ready for the spa. But, as it was, we had an appointment for a couple's massage at 10.

Now let me just pause the story for a moment to say that, if I didn't think I was classy enough for this resort before, I have absolutly confirmed it by having gone to their ultra-classy spa. It was immaculate and serene and beautiful and just...amazing. And, like so much that goes on at this resort, there were numerous men and women standing around just waiting to serve us. And every time I tried to thank someone, she said "It is our pleasure to serve you, miss." This kind of royal treatment is just not something I'm used to, and I have to admit that it makes me feel a little bit awkward. It doesn't mean I don't love it, though!

So let me tell you about our spa treatment because it was truly something.

For the first hour, we enjoyed a couple's massage in this little hut right outside the spa. This was wonderful in so many ways. First of all, it was the best massage I've ever had. Secondly, we were outside in this sweet little hut, and I found it so peaceful to be that close to nature while this was going on. Also, did I mention that this was the best massage I've ever had? Because it was.

But the massage was not all. When that hour was over, we went back to our respective locker rooms for hydrotherapy. Now, before I describe this treatment to you, I have to admit that I didn't enjoy all of it. It was incredibly interesting and I don't regret for even half a second having spent the time to do it; but I did spend at least half of the time in misery. I think you will see why...

The therapy started with 10 minutes in a steam room. This was nice for about 30 seconds. But after that, the cold cloth they'd given me was warm, and all I could do for the next nine and a half minutes was sit there and wish the girl would come back for me. It wasn't as much the heat and humidity, though, as it was the fact that I could hardly breathe. Not only was the steam in the room so thick that I couldn't see the other side of it, but there was a very strong smell that my nose couldn't quite take. Don't get me wrong - it was a good smell. But there was just too much of it. I tried to enjoy the 10 minutes as best I could, but I was really, really relieved when I was told my 10 minutes were up.

From there, I went to the shower. Now this was cool. The girl said to me, "Now you will shower slowly," and then she left. I stood there for a moment not understanding what I was supposed to do, but then the shower started on its own. At my feet! Water shot out from the walls onto my feet and lower legs from five or six different directions. It was cool, then warm, then cool again. I loved it, and it only got better as the water hit my thighs, my stomach, and, finally, my head and face. Cool, warm, cool, warm, cool. This felt very, very good. Of course, it didn't last 10 minutes, but maybe about three.

And then it was time for the sauna. This was not quite as unbearable to me as the steam room had been, but I still didn't love my 10 minutes in there. It was totally worth it, though, because the next room was the ice room. As I approached it, I worried that I was going from one extreme to the other; and if there is one thing I hate more than being hot and sweaty, it's being cold. But it turns out, the ice room iss kept at a comfortable 75 degrees. It felt wonderful. But even better? The girl gave me a small bowl of ice and told me to just sit there and rub it on my body. It felt so good, and she came back to get me way too fast.

The last room was the clay room. This was another hot place and probably the strangest of all the rooms. The girl gave me a small bowl of liquid clay and told me to rub it all over my body, except my face. I did, and then I just sat there while the clay dripped to the floor with my sweat. When the girl came back a few minutes later, she seemed surprised that I hadn't showered. I must not have looked as awkward as I felt, if she assumed I knew what I was doing. So I showered the clay off my body and then went to sit in the whipper pools. Yes, that's right - whipper pools!

In the locker room itself, there were four different pools, all different temperatures. I tried each one for a few minutes and then found my way to the large pool in the main section of the spa. They would have let me sit in there all day long, and I could have; but eventually I wondered what had happened to Brandon. I found him in the lobby of the spa, and by this point we'd been there for nearly three hours. It was time for lunch!

The rest of the day went like this: buffet lunch, pool, buffet dinner, sleep. You've heard all this before, so I won't go into great detail. I will say that our buffet dinner was a Dominican theme, and that was really, really neat. They have so much food here, but it's all Mexican or Italian or American or French. None of it is Dominican! So we had to take advantage of the themed dinner while we had the chance. And we loved it!

This was supposed to be first dinner. But it ended up being only dinner because we slept right through the second one. (In case you were wondering, they don't actually call them first and second dinner - those are our terms for the dinner we eat around 6 or 7 and the one we eat around 9 or 10!)

But as I said, we missed second dinner tonight (not that we can't go without it!) because we slept from about 7 to 10. I woke up to write this blog, but now that it's going on midnight, I think I'll find my way back to bed.

It's been a really wonderful third day. The only thing I'm truly disappointed about is that the ants got to our special honeymooners' cake before we did. Still, there's more champagne in the fridge, so I think we'll be ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment